Nephrology focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the kidney.
At Makassed General Hospital, highly qualified nephrologists oversee the dialysis unit. A nephrologist is a medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating kidney conditions. Because the kidney performs many critical functions, nephrologists maintain expertise in primary kidney disorders, but also have a thorough understanding of the kidney involvement in other systemic diseases (such as vasculitis or heart failure). Also, with the central role of the kidney in maintaining blood pressure, nephrologists also possess expertise in the management of hypertension, particularly when difficult to control.
Nephrology disorders include:
- Acute and chronic kidney disease
- Glomerulonephritis and glomerular diseases
- Autosomal dominant tubulointerstitial kidney disease (ADTKD)
- Renal tubular defects
- Renal vascular conditions, such as renal artery stenosis
- Kidney infections
- An abnormal renal mass or tumor (some are benign and some are cancerous)
- Structural or functional abnormalities of the kidney or the urinary tract such as nephrolithiasis
- Lupus nephritis (autoimmune diseases of the kidneys)
- Fluid and electrolyte disorders
- Kidney-related metabolic disorders