About Makassed General Hospital
Since its foundation in 1930 in Beirut, Makassed General Hospital (MGH) provides patients with high quality and affordable services for all kinds of illnesses, diseases or injuries. It started as a modest two-story building with 13 doctors and 10 nurses.
In 1949, the hospital building expanded to five floors and set on its course to become the general hospital it is today. Between 1975 and 1990, the hospital held up its mission to meet the ever-expanding needs of the community. It also became a prestigious education- al hospital.
Today, MGH continues its strong legacy and has grown in size, scope and reputation, offering a full range of inpatient, outpatient and emergency medical services.
MGH, located in an overcrowded area in Beirut, is today a 230-bed institution that serves yearly approximately 15,000 inpatients and more than 50,000 outpatient visits. It is among the top medical facilities in Lebanon.
The current main building and its adjacent clinics are now equipped with the service capabilities needed to support a qualified staff.
In 1983, Makassed Health Care Bureau (MHCB) was inaugurated and oversees six health centers, including three mobile units that can reach populated and/or remote areas in Beirut, the Beqaa Valley, Akkar and Mount Lebanon. Competent doctors provide preventive as well as therapeutic services including non-communicable diseases diagnosis and deliver adequate documentation of medical records. Regular and chronic medicines and contraceptives are provided at nominal prices, as well as free vaccines, as per the calendar set by the Ministry of Public Health.