Patient & Visitors Patients Guide
At Makassed General Hospital and Clinics our goal is to provide excellent health care for every patient. Our patients have the following rights and responsibilities regardless of race, color, culture, language, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, socioeconomic status, age, or national origin.
You have the right to:
• Be treated as an individual with unique healthcare needs;
• Proper evaluation and treatment;
• Respect in a caring and safe environment;
• Personal privacy and confidentiality of your health information;
• Have your concerns heard and resolved whenever possible;
• Be involved in decision-making process regarding your case;
• Accept or refuse treatment of the extent permitted by law;
• Be informed about your health status, recommended treatments, options, risks and benefits;
• Answers to any concern, question and request;
• Know the names of the health care professionals, physicians and nurses responsible for your care;
• Receive medical treatment regardless of the source of payment;
• Receive information about the costs of your care and payment methods;
• Receive and review a copy of your medical record;
• Be informed of the benefits and risks of your treatment options and agree to or refuse a course of action;
• Designate a support person of your choosing to be involved in your care when appropriate;
• Seek an alternate doctor or ask for a second opinion.
It is your responsibility to:
• Give correct and complete information about your health status and health history;
• Follow the medical plan and instructions given to you by medical and nursing teams;
• Abide by appointment times or inform those in charge in case of any changes;
• Abide by the Makassed General Hospital policies and procedures, especially those related to visiting hours;
• Treat the medical, nursing and all hospital staff with respect;
• Treat hospital property with respect;
• Settle financial obligations for your medical care according to hospital’s and third party payers’ rules and bylaws;
• Respect the rights and property of other patients;
• Accept health consequences that may occur if you decide to refuse treatment or instructions;
• Ask questions if you do not understand information or instructions;
• Inform your caregivers if you do not intend to or cannot follow the treatment plan;
• Cooperate with your caregivers;
• Tell your caregivers of any medications you have brought from home;
• Report any changes in your health status to your caregivers.
When you arrive at the hospital we will ask for your personal, health-insurance and emergency-contact information. Accurate and complete information is key to successful care and treatment. Your privacy is always a priority. Your medical information is confidential and will not be shared.
Required Documents for Hospital Admission The hospital Pre-Admission Office will require the following documents to arrange for your hospital admission:
1- Doctor’s Report;
2- Lebanese I.D. (Hawiya);
3- Insurance Card.
Planned Admission Planned admission refers to a scheduled in-hospital stay. After you and your doctor decide that you need hospital-based treatment, you need to follow these steps:
Emergency Admission Emergency admission occurs when life-threatening illness or injury requires immediate hospital care. Some emergency patients are released from the Emergency Department or Emergency Center once treatment is complete. Others require a hospital stay, and therefore formal admission to the hospital. If your doctors decide you should stay in the hospital after emergency care, you will be admitted to the hospital as an inpatient.
About the Pre-Admission Office The Pre-Admission Office will take care of preparing your admission and financial files after you have submitted the required documents.
Opening days and hours: Monday till Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Saturday 8 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Location: Tarik Al Jadida-Nour Building-Ground Floor
For inquiries, please call 01-636802/9
About the Admission Office
The Admission Office is open 24 hours 7 days a week. The Admission Office is responsible for contacting patients within 48 hours after submitting their documents to the Pre-Admission Office to inform them of further medical examinations that might be needed, as well as the date and time of their admission.
Location: Tarik Al Jadidah-Hospital Building, Ground floor
For inquiries, please call 01-636808/11/12
How to request a copy of your medical record:
Patients can request a copy of their health information (medical records) from the Makassed Medical Records Department.
Opening days and hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Location: Tarik Al Jadidah-Hospital Building, 5th Floor
For inquiries, please call 01-636999 ext. 6757
How to settle your hospital fees:
It is the responsibility of the patient and/or family members to settle all payments before discharge from the hospital. If you’ve received a bill for your hospital stay, you may have questions about charges for certain expenses. Our patient billing representatives are here to help.
Your medical insurance may cover all or part of your charges, but it’s up to you to ensure that your account is paid in full.
To settle hospital fees, contact the Billing Office at Makassed General Hospital.
Opening days and Hours:
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m-1:00 p.m.
Location: Tarik Al Jadidah-Hospital Building, 1st floor
For inquiries, please call 01-636803/4