About Makassed About Us
About Makassed General Hospital
Since its foundation in 1930 in Beirut, Makassed General Hospital (MGH) provides patients with high-quality and affordable services for all kinds of illnesses, diseases or injuries. It started as a modest two-storey building with 13 doctors and 10 nurses. During World War II, the hospital served as one of the Lebanese Ministry of Defense medical centers. In 1949, the hospital building expanded to five floors and set on its course to become the general hospital it is today.
Today, MGH continues its strong legacy and has grown in size, scope and reputation, offering a full range of inpatient, outpatient and emergency medical services.
This 230 beds institution serves yearly approximately 15,000 inpatients and more than 50,000 outpatient visits. The current six-storey main building and its adjacent clinics are now equipped with the service capabilities needed to support a qualified staff of 250 medical specialists and other licensed physicians, 400 nurses and 350 administrative staff. It is among the top medical facilities in Lebanon and has received the Class A rating by the Ministry of Public Health. It is also ISO and HACCP certified, focusing on quality control and the sanitation of facilities and equipment. Currently, the Bone Marrow Transplant Center is preparing for JACIE accreditation.
MGH has also developed into a major teaching hospital, offering postdoctoral medical and fellowship training programs for physicians through its affiliations with the American University of Beirut (AUB), Beirut Arab University (BAU), the Regional University Hospital Center, as well as Lille University in France.
In addition, Makassed runs five primary healthcare centers and three mobile units in different areas of the city and remote areas.